Deep within a dark dank place, hidden from the human race.
I feel alone.
The pain is deep and winding.
My muscles ache and twitch.
No drugs flow through my veins.
If they did, they’d only make me itch.
These oddities often manifest, quite simply on their own.
My legs are locked, my arms are torn, it even hurts to smile.
A locked jaw, I want no more, I’m no longer mobile.
A sudden jerk of pre convulsion, pain of mind without emotion.
A limb, my face, but no trace, left for anyone to see.
The abyss of fibres rip, without sound, people pass by unnoticeably.
The Spasm Chasm I not implore, consumes all of my being.
Although I feel it deep within, it’s not for all, too seeing!
On my own, I sit at home, without choice or empathy.
I really want this to end, it’s been like this days.
When will it end?
Will I mend?
My body, convolutes, a random dance.
Confusion of verse betrays me, Fibro Fog, belated me.
The mountain of stairs, not that there’s many, is simply to hard to climb.
It’s times like these that make me ache, with throbbing and pulsation.
Pins like bladed needles walk my back, where art though compassion oh great creator.
My words like medicine heal my soul, the Spasm Chasm has its hold.
This verse, full of gaping, nonsensical confusion.
This is how the Spasm Chasm consumes you!
My world, its illusion.
By Stuart Otway-Smith
An attempt to describe in poetry what Muscle Spasms feel like, a symptom of Fibromyalgia / Chronic Pain Syndrome.
National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
Mark the date for May 12 National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day!
- Fibro Haze (stuartotwaysmith.com)
- the Spasm Facts: (rhvillegas.wordpress.com)
- Overcoming Fear and Anxiety – Breaking the pain cycle (midlifeblogin.wordpress.com)
- Oh to be as resiliant as a child! (dystoniasufferer.wordpress.com)
- Photo Friday: Blue Ridge Sunset. (lifeintheblueridges.wordpress.com)
- Revenge of the Shoulder Blade… (runningthriver.wordpress.com)
- Treating Trigger Points and the Persistent Pain (itstrulyrandom.com)